We are so excited to have Brittainy Cherry as our Monday Morning Spotlight. All of the girls on the blog LOVE her work. I personally became a fan after reading Loving Mr. Daniels (it was one of my favorites of 2014 – Jacque) and The Air He Breathes was another hit with us this year. It was a favorite of 2015 for few of us . So without further ado, let’s see what Brittainy had to say to our 20 questions!!!
1. Have you always wanted to be a writer?
For a long time, but not always! I wrote my first novel when I was sixteen and ever since then I knew I wanted to do something with words to help inspire people.
2. Are you a full time writer? If so, what did you do in your “previous life?”
Yes! Before this I was a theater director at a high school and an actress on the side 🙂 So I’ve always been in the creative arts world.
3. If you could go back in time, what advice would you give your younger self?
Stop being so hard on yourself, and stop allowing others to control your heart.
4. Do you work on one storyline at a time or do you have multiple storylines in the pipeline?
One storyline! I’ve tried more but it’s too hard for me. When I’m on a story I want to fully be invested in the characters world.
5. Let’s play favorites! Who is your favorite character you’ve written?
Levi from Art & Soul! He’s such a gentle young guy finding his place in the world.
6. Have you experienced any of your stories personally?
My grandmother passed from cancer, so Levi’s situation is close to my heart.
7. What are your biggest distractions?
THE WORLD! Haha! I’m a chatty girl so it’s so easy for me to get distracted. I blame Facebook!
8. What is your least favorite part of the writing or publishing process?
Writers block/writer fear of rejection.
9. Do you find it difficult, or challenging to write from the male POV?
Yes! I always have to remind myself that guys don’t sound like me haha!
10. What activities do you enjoy outside of writing?
Dancing! Traveling, wine nights, movie nights.
11. Do you have a favorite author or book?
12. Ever think you have a great idea for a book, only to find out someone released the same storyline already?
I haven’t had that happen luckily! But I think all authors can make their stories unique!
13. Have you ever had writer’s block and how do you work through it?
I cry lol then give myself a break. I never want to push a storyline, I give myself and my characters a chance to breathe.
14. Do you ever find yourself jumping up from the dinner to table to jot down a scene that just ran through your head?
Or jumping out of the shower, running out of a store, talking it into my phone—all. The. Time!!
15. What does your writing workspace look like?
It’s my bed haha or the living room couch.
16. Sharing your work with the public has to be scary. How do you respond to negative reviews?
I don’t read reviews. It keeps me sane!
17. Do you have any visuals for your characters from any of your books?
Not really. I love the readers to imagine the characters.
18. Can you tell us what you are working on next?
The next book in the elements series is called “The Fire Between High & Lo” it’s a story about two people named Alyssa and Logan who have quite a journey together.
19. What is in your purse right now?
Three chapsticks, two lip glosses and like two dollars lol
20. Do you have a favorite scene or book of your own?
My favorite scene is in The Air He Breathes when Tristan and Elizabeth agree to use each other in the hallway one night. It’s messy and heartbreaking.